Botox is currently the most popular non-surgical med spa treatment in the US to mitigate signs of facial aging. This FDA-approved injectable procedure helps reduce mild to moderate fine lines and wrinkles in specific areas of the face.
It helps restore a noticeably younger facial appearance almost immediately. In the hands of a skilled and experienced Botox provider, patients can expect safe and predictable results.
Motykie Medical Spa, led by board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Gary Motykie, provides Botox injectable treatment to patients in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and surrounding locations.
Potential Side Effects
Botox treatment has a high safety profile. But new patients should still understand the potential side-effects and risks related to Botox to make an informed decision.
The primary ingredient in Botox is botulinum toxin type A. This powerful biological agent can lead to significant side-effects if administered incorrectly.
The possible side effects of Botox include:
- Allergic responses
- Muscle weakness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Shortness of breath
- Neck or back pain
- Muscle stiffness
- Stomach pain,
- Loss of appetite
The injection site reactions may include the following:
Other Side Effects
- Cold symptoms
- Runny nose
- Tired feeling
- Urinary tract infections
- Ringing in your ears
- Increased sweating in areas other than the underarms
- Difficulty urinating
- Sore throat
- Flu symptoms
- Respiratory infections
- Dry mouth
- Burning/painful urination
When used for the treatment of blepharospasm, the side effects may include the following:
- Drooping of the eyelid (ptosis)
- Inflammation of the cornea (keratitis)
- Eye dryness
- Itchy eyes
- Double vision
- Eye irritation
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Reduced blinking
- Eyelid swelling or bruising
If Botox is not administered properly or in the correct dose, the following complications may occur:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Crooked or twisted smile
- Muscle weakness in sites of the injections
- Weak bladder control
- Cockeyed eyebrows
- Unexplained tearing
- Vision problems
- Problems in swallowing or speaking
Who Should Avoid Botox?
It is important to establish the candidacy of an individual for Botox injections to offer safe and effective results. The treatment provider may ask people with the following conditions to avoid Botox use:
- Inability to stop the use of blood thinners and NSAIDs for a brief duration prior to the injectable treatment
- Received facial surgery recently
- Suffered complications from Botox or a variant after a previous procedure
- Existence of an untreated skin condition in the injection area
- Suffering from a condition that affects nerves or muscles such as ALS, Lambert-Eaton syndrome, or myasthenia gravis
- Suffering from chronic breathing conditions or asthma
- Bleeding conditions
- Planning to undergo facial surgery
- Weak forehead muscles
- Existing allergy to a Botox ingredient
Additionally, Botox manufacturer, Allergen Inc. also dissuades pregnant and breastfeeding women from receiving Botox treatments.
Choose the Right Botox Provider
The patient should understand more about the Botox procedure and then choose a state-of-the-art and fully equipped med spa that specializes in administering Botox injections in a safe and effective manner.
If the med spa is led by an experienced physician, they will make sure Botox provider follows best practices, highest quality standards, and the latest safety protocols.
Motykie Medical Spa receives patients from Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and nearby areas for Botox injections.
Click here for Virtual Consultation
To see more services and treatments provided by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Motykie in Beverly Hills | Los Angeles | West Hollywood and his team please visit: