A careful pre-operative preparation will create a good foundation for a success spider vein treatment. The patient and the medspa treatment provider should have open communication and positive engagement so that patient cooperation and compliance can be ensured.
Well-prepared patients will often achieve better results and have a reduced risk of complications in a procedure such as sclerotherapy. Motykie Medical Spa, led by board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Gary Motykie, provides spider vein treatments to patients in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and surrounding communities and neighborhoods in this geographical area.
One of the important parts of the preparation process for a vein procedure such as sclerotherpay is a thorough health review. The medspa treatment provider will:
- Assess the condition of the affected veins
- Look for signs of any underlying blood vessel disease
- Review the patient’s medical records to learn about conditions such as heart disease or blood clot history
- Check the drugs and supplements that the patient may be currently using, and advise any adjustments or rescheduling if necessary
- Ask about the history of skin allergies, if any
- Previous vein treatment, if any, and the result
An ultrasound imaging test may be ordered in a few cases to assess the deeper condition of the affected areas. This may depend on which of the veins are involved. Ultrasound is an effective and painless procedure, which can allow the provider to determine the precise nature and extent of the spider veins and prepare a customized treatment plan.
Although most patients will only require sclerotherapy injectable treatment for spider veins, a few may have to undergo a laser or light-based treatment in conjunction with sclerotherapy. The treatment provider will explain the advantages of each treatment option, and help the patient to make a well-informed choice according to their unique needs.
Preparation for Sclerotherapy
Sclerotherapy is accepted as the treatment of choice for spider vein removal from the legs. Some of the steps involved in preparation for this injectable procedure may include:
- Avoid smoking as well as refrain from using blood thinning medications, NSAIDs and vitamin E supplements for a certain number of days before the treatment as per the provider’s advice.
- Wear comfortable and loose fitting clothes to the med spa for the treatment session.
- Arrange for appropriate compression stockings in advance for use after the treatment. The provider will guide the patient about selecting the right size and type of stockings. Medium compression and knee high or thigh high stocks are commonly used, depending on the site of treatment.
- Avoid shaving or applying any cream or lotion to the affected sites for about 24 hours prior to the procedure.
- Eat a nutritious meal before going in for the treatment, and stay hydrated before and after the procedure. Your body needs water but you do not need to gulp down half a gallon of water either.
Following the procedure, the provider may instruct the patient to avoid vigorous exercises or activities for a day or two. This is not the time to play 3 on 3 basketball or help your neighbor cut off a tree limb and so on. Motykie Medical Spa receives patients from Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and other cities and communities in this area of SoCal for sclerotherapy.
To see more services and treatments provided by Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Motykie in Beverly Hills | Los Angeles and his team please visit: